The Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) is a small and colorful freshwater fish that belongs to the family Badidae. It is native to the slow-moving waters and shallow streams of India and Bangladesh. The Scarlet Badis is known for its vibrant colors, especially the males which display striking patterns of red, blue, and black. Females are less colorful but still attractive with their olive-brown body and subtle markings. These fish prefer a well-planted aquarium with ample hiding places such as caves, rocks, or dense vegetation. The addition of floating plants can also create shaded areas that mimic their natural habitat.
- SOLD SIZE: 0.5" or less
- Origin: India and Bangladesh
- Max size: Around 1 inch
- Recommended tank size: Minimum 5 gallons
- Water temperature: 73-82°F
- Temperament: Peaceful, but males can be territorial
- Diet: Carnivorous. They primarily feed on small live or frozen foods such as daphnia, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and microworms.
- Lifespan: 2-3 years