Yellow Hump Eartheater (Geophagus Pellegrini) is a species of cichlid fish native to South America, specifically the Amazon River basin. They have a somewhat elongated, streamlined body with a pointed snout and large eyes. Their body is mostly brown with a series of darker brown bands and a red stripe along the upper part of their body. They prefer to live in areas with sandy or muddy bottoms. Geophagus Pellegrini are generally peaceful, social fish and will thrive in a community setting with other non-aggressive species. They are known for their unique digging behavior and will often rearrange the substrate of their tank.
- SOLD SIZE: 6"-7"
- Origin: South America, Amazon River basin
- Max size: Up to 7 inches in length
- Recommended tank size: At least 75 gallons
- Water temperature: 72-82°F
- Temperament: Generally peaceful and social, but may become territorial during breeding
- Diet: Omnivorous, will eat a variety of prepared and live foods
- Lifespan: Up to 10 years with proper care