The Fire Eel (Mastacembelus erythrotaenia) is a unique and fascinating species with an elongated body and a pointed snout. They are mostly brown or black in color with a series of small yellow and red stripes along their sides. Fire Eels prefer aquariums with plenty of hiding places and a soft substrate. They are generally peaceful but may eat smaller fish that can fit into their mouths. Fire Eels are nocturnal and will spend most of their time hiding during the day.
- SOLD SIZE: 3.5"-4"
- Origin: Southeast Asia
- Max size: Up to 36 inches (90 cm)
- Recommended tank size: 75 gallons or larger
- Water temperature: 75-82°F (24-28°C)
- Temperament: Generally peaceful but may eat smaller fish
- Diet: Carnivorous, meaty foods such as bloodworms, brine shrimp, and small pieces of fish
- Life span: Up to 10 years