The Coral Red Pencil Fish (Nannostomus mortenthaleri) is a small freshwater fish native to the Amazon Basin in South America. These fish are elongated and have a bright red or orange coloration with iridescent blue scales along their sides. They also have a long, slender tail fin and a small mouth. Red Coral Pencil Fish prefer planted tanks with plenty of hiding places, and they like to swim in schools near the surface of the water. These fish are peaceful and should be kept with other small, non-aggressive species.
- SOLD SIZE: about 1" or less
- Origin: South America, specifically the Amazon River Basin
- Max size: Up to 1.5 inches
- Recommended tank size: At least 10 gallons
- Water temperature: 75-82°F (24-28°C)
- Temperament: Peaceful, but can be intimidated by larger or more aggressive fish
- Diet: Omnivorous, but primarily feeds on small insects and plankton in the wild. Can be fed a variety of prepared foods in captivity.
- Life span: Up to 5 years